Integrative oncologist and BCCT advisor Keith Block, MD, has been a pioneer of chronomodulated chemotherapy in the United States. A brief excerpt from his description:
Gold standard research supports the use of chronomodulated chemotherapy. For example, for metastatic colon cancer patients, studies show that administering chemotherapy at the optimal time can halve toxicity and double treatment response. For advanced metastatic ovarian cancer, a study in the journal Cancer reported that optimal timing of chemotherapy can reduce toxic side effects by 50 percent and quadruple five-year survival. This is a four-fold improvement! (Four times as many patients were alive at the five-year mark). The same study demonstrated a 75 percent reduction in the need to cut the treatment dose!1
BCCT plans to write a summary on chronomodulated therapies. While our summary is in development, you can visit these sources:
- Medscape: 5 Things to Know about Chronotherapy
- Block Center for Integrative Cancer Therapy: When it comes to chemotherapy, timing’s everything
- Cancer Causes & Control: Chronotherapeutics: the relevance of timing in cancer therapy
Integrative Programs, Protocols and Medical Systems
For more information about programs and protocols, see our Integrative Programs and Protocols page.
- Block Center for Integrative Cancer Treatment: Chronomodulation
- Chan S, Rowbottom L et al. Does the time of radiotherapy affect treatment outcomes? A review of the literature. Clinical Oncology (Royal College of Radiologists (Great Britain)). 2017 Apr;29(4):231-238.
- Kobayashi M, Wood PA, Hrushesky WJ. Circadian chemotherapy for gynecological and genitourinary cancers. Chronobiology International. 2002 Jan;19(1):237-51.
- Keith I. Block, MD: Life over Cancer: The Block Center Program for Integrative Cancer Treatment
- EmpowHER: Keith Block: My Activity
- Henry Mayo Clinic: Keith Block: New Roads to Health: Life over Cancer
- Danial E. Baker: Application of chronotherapy to the treatment of cancer: can changing the timing of drug administration influence efficacy and toxicity?
- Block KI, Block PB, Gyllenhaal C: Integrative Treatment for Colorectal Cancer