BCCT plans to write a summary on Boswellia (Indian frankincense). While our summary is in development, you can visit these sites for more information:
Before using this therapy, consult your oncology team about interactions with other treatments and therapies. Also make sure this therapy is safe for use with any other medical conditions you may have.
Clinical Practice Guidelines
According to the Society for Integrative Oncology’s 2009 clinical practice guidelines, there is insufficient evidence to recommend boswellia for relieving radiation therapy-induced toxicities.1
Managing Side Effects and Promoting Wellness
Managing or relieving side effects or symptoms, reducing treatment toxicity, supporting quality of life or promoting general well-being
Boswellia is promoted for for relief of radiation therapy-induced toxicity.
Common adverse events include gastrointestinal symptoms and contact dermatitis. Some herb-drug interactions are possible. See the About Herbs summary above for details. BCCT recommends consulting with your physician and pharmacist if you are thinking about taking this natural product.
BCCT does not recommend therapies or doses, but only provides information for patients and providers to consider as part of a complete treatment plan. Patients should discuss therapies with their physicians, as contraindications, interactions and side effects must be evaluated.
Dosage recommendations are available from these sources:
- Block KI. Life over Cancer: The Block Center Program for Integrative Cancer Treatment. New York: Bantam Dell. 2009.
- McKinney N. Naturopathic Oncology, 3rd Edition. Victoria, BC, Canada: Liaison Press. 2016.
- Moss Reports (purchase required): Select from the list of cancers down the left side of the page for a report describing uses of conventional, complementary, alternative and integrative therapies related to that cancer. Ralph Moss is among the most knowledgeable and balanced researchers of integrative cancer therapies. The cost of his Moss Reports is not negligible, but many patients find them of considerable value. Moss is also available for consultations.
- Natural Medicines Database (requires purchase)
Integrative Programs, Protocols and Medical Systems
|For more information about programs and protocols, see our Integrative Programs and Protocols page.|
- Programs and protocols
- Block program: anti-inflammation2
- MacDonald breast cancer program3
- McKinney protocols4
- Pain management
- Traditional systems
- Gurdev Parmar and Tina Kaczor: Textbook of Naturopathic Oncology
- Neil McKinney, BSc, ND: Naturopathic Oncology, 3rd Edition
- CAM-Cancer Collaboration: CAM-Cancer
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center: About Herbs, Botanicals and Other Products
- Therapeutic Research Center: Natural Medicines Database
- Lone Star Medical Group: Natural Alternative Treatments