What Can You Do Now?
You don't have to wait to start improving your quality of life. You can do many things on your own to build resilience, feel better, and reduce the impact of conventional cancer treatments.
None of the therapies listed here are as easy as taking a pill. They take time and effort, but the rewards are immeasurable.
7 Healing Practices
These practices are inherently health-promoting and can enhance your well-being. Research demonstrates the benefits of these practices. Risks are low, with only a few cautions.
- Eating Well
- Moving More
- Sleeping Well
- Creating a Healing Environment
- Managing Stress
- Sharing Love and Support
- Finding Meaning and Joy
Following Healthy Living guidelines is similarly beneficial.
Therapies You Can Do Yourself
Even when people are getting the best of cancer treatment, they often feel like they need more help with organizing their care and managing symptoms and side effects. Helpsy empowers members to take control of their health through a real-time virtual nurse support service. This service is available via mobile devices, a Helpsy website and automated phone calls.
Many of these therapies are available without prescription. However, note any cautions, and check with your doctor if indicated.
- Energy Therapies
- Herbs, Supplements and Other Natural Products
- These are too numerous to list here; please see the Search Therapy Summaries database
- Mind-body approaches, including these and more:
- Religious and spiritual approaches
Getting Ready for Treatment
- Professionals: Advocates and navigators can help you find and assess options and can support you in making decisions based on your values and beliefs.
- Your support network: Recent studies show that sharing love and support contributes as much to your health as diet and exercise do.
- Others who have walked (or are walking) your path: No matter how much friends and family love you, they can't support you in the same ways as those who share your experience.
- Andrew Weil Center for Integrative Medicine: CanHEAL
- BCCT: Get Help: Healing Circles: Share Your Experience
- Cancer Treatment Centers of America: What are environmental risk factors, and how can I avoid them?
- BCCT: Navigating BCCT by Stages on the Cancer Path
- McDougall Advanced Study Weekend: Keith Block MD Speaks about a New Model of Integrative Cancer Treatment
- Norman Cousins: Head First: The Biology of Hope and the Healing Power of the Human Spirit
- Commonweal: Healing Circles