Inositol Hexaphosphate (IP-6)
BCCT plans to write a summary on inositol hexaphosphate (IP-6). While our summary is in development, you can visit About Herbs: Inositol Hexaphosphate
IP-6 can interact with a number of drugs, including anti-coagulant drugs. See the About Herbs summary linked above for more information.
Integrative oncologist Keith Block advises stopping IP-6 about five to seven days before surgery, as it may magnify the sedating effects of anesthesia.1
Neil McKinney, ND, states that IP-6 can chelate dietary minerals and medications, so it should be taken apart from all medicines and supplements. He also says it can aggravate iron-deficiency anemia in people with cancer.2
Raymond Chang, MD, states that IP-6 can reduce platelet activity and cautions about its use by patients with low platelet counts or on an anti-coagulant therapy. Since IP-6 is an antioxidant, Dr. Chang also cautions against use during radiation therapy or with chemotherapy drugs that kill cancer cells partly by oxidation.3
BCCT does not recommend therapies or doses, but only provides information for patients and providers to consider as part of a complete treatment plan. Patients should discuss therapies with their physicians, as contraindications, interactions and side effects must be evaluated.
Dosage recommendations are available from these sources:
- Block KI. Life over Cancer: The Block Center Program for Integrative Cancer Care. New York: Bantam Dell. 2009.
- Chang R. Beyond the Magic Bullet: The Anti-Cancer Cocktail. New York: Square One Publishers. 2012.
- McKinney N. Naturopathic Oncology, 3rd Edition. Victoria, BC, Canada: Liaison Press. 2016.
- Natural Medicines Database (requires purchase)
Integrative Plans, Protocols and Medical Systems
|For more information about plans and protocols, see our Integrative Plans and Protocols page.|
- Plans, protocols and programs
- Therapeutic Research Center: Natural Medicines Database
- Lone Star Medical Group: Natural Alternative Treatments
- Raymond Chang, MD: Beyond the Magic Bullet: The Anti-Cancer Cocktail