BCCT plans to write a summary on L-theanine. While our summary is in development, you can visit About Herbs: L-Theanine
L-theanine is a water soluble amino acid found in green tea and in mushrooms.
The About Herbs summary of L-Theanine highlights several cautions, contraindications and herb-drug interactions. See summary for more information. This summary also advises that “patients undergoing chemotherapy should discuss the use of L-theanine with their physicians because these [anticancer] effects are not based on clinical trials, and epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) in green tea reduces activity of the chemotherapy drug bortezomib.”
BCCT does not recommend therapies or doses, but only provides information for patients and providers to consider as part of a complete treatment plan. Patients should discuss therapies with their physicians, as contraindications, interactions and side effects must be evaluated.
Dosage recommendations are available from these sources:
- Block KI. Life over Cancer: The Block Center Program for Integrative Cancer Care. New York: Bantam Dell. 2009.
- Natural Medicines Database (requires purchase)
Integrative Programs, Protocols and Medical Systems
|For more information about programs and protocols, see our Integrative Programs and Protocols page.|
- Programs and protocols
- Alschuler & Gazella complementary approaches1
- Block program2
- Combination stress hormone supplement
- Coupler to improve effectiveness of chemotherapy (Adriamycin)
- Combination formula to strengthen cancer-killing effects of conventional treatment
- MacDonald breast cancer program3
- Traditional systems
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center: About Herbs, Botanicals and Other Products
- Keith I. Block, MD: Life over Cancer: The Block Center Program for Integrative Cancer Treatment
- Lise Alschuler, ND, FABNO, and Karolyn Gazella: The Definitive Guide to Cancer, 3rd Edition
- Lone Star Medical Group: Natural Alternative Treatments
- Block KI, Block PB, Gyllenhaal C: Integrative Treatment for Colorectal Cancer