BCCT plans to write a summary on magnolia bark (honokiol). While our summary is in development, you can visit About Herbs: Magnolia officinalis
Before using this therapy, consult your oncology team about interactions with other treatments and therapies. Also make sure this therapy is safe for use with any other medical conditions you may have.
The About Herbs summary for Magnolia states that “due to inhibition of several enzymes or pathways for drug metabolism, there is the potential for interactions with many medications.” For more information, refer to the Magnolia summary.
BCCT does not recommend therapies or doses, but only provides information for patients and providers to consider as part of a complete treatment plan. Patients should discuss therapies with their physicians, as contraindications, interactions and side effects must be evaluated.
Dosage recommendations are available from these sources:
- Block KI. Life over Cancer: The Block Center Program for Integrative Cancer Care. New York: Bantam Dell. 2009.
- Natural Medicines Database (requires purchase)
Integrative Programs, Protocols and Medical Systems
|For more information about programs and protocols, see our Integrative Programs and Protocols page.|
- Programs and protocols
- Traditional systems
- Clinical Trials.gov trials for magnolia
- Moss Reports (purchase required): Select from the list of cancers down the left side of the page for a report describing uses of conventional, complementary, alternative and integrative therapies related to that cancer. Ralph Moss is among the most knowledgeable and balanced researchers of integrative cancer therapies. The cost of his Moss Reports is not negligible, but many patients find them of considerable value. Moss is also available for consultations. The Moss Reports describes Honokiol use in killing cancer stem cells.
- Neil McKinney, BSc, ND: Naturopathic Oncology, 3rd Edition
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center: About Herbs, Botanicals and Other Products
- Therapeutic Research Center: Natural Medicines Database