Laura Pole, RN, MSN, OCNS, BCCT Senior Researcher
Nancy Hepp, MS, BCCT Project Manager
Last updated June 25, 2019.
In the early 1900s, Dr. Randolph Stone, a doctor of osteopathy, naturopathy and chiropractic, synthesized principles of healing from several traditional medical systems including Ayurveda, traditional Chinese medicine and homeopathy. Stone created a health system that includes diet, exercise and increased self-awareness; polarity therapy is part of this larger health system.
Clinical Practice Guidelines
2009 evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for integrative oncology conclude that therapies based on a philosophy of bioenergy fields are safe and may provide some benefit for reducing stress and enhancing quality of life. Only limited evidence is available regarding their efficacy for symptom management, including reducing pain and fatigue. The Society for Integrative Oncology gives a strong recommendation for these therapies:3
- For reducing anxiety: grade 1B (strong recommendation, moderate-quality evidence)
- For pain, fatigue, and other symptom management: grade 1C (strong recommendation, low or very low quality evidence)
Managing Side Effects and Promoting Wellness
Managing or relieving side effects or symptoms, reducing treatment toxicity, supporting quality of life or promoting general well-being
A small preliminary clinical study suggested that polarity therapy may have a positive influence on cancer-related fatigue and health-related quality of life in women undergoing radiation treatment for breast cancer.4 However, more evidence is needed to draw stronger conclusions about this use.
The TRC Natural Medicines summary concludes insufficient evidence exists to rate the safety of this therapy..5
Integrative Programs, Protocols and Medical Systems
|For more information about programs and protocols, see our Integrative Programs and Protocols page.|
- Traditional systems
Note: BCCT has not conducted an independent review of research of polarity therapy. This summary draws primarily from the American Polarity Therapy Association and TRC Natural Medicines websites, plus other sources as noted.
- American Polarity Therapy Association
- Wilson W. Polarity therapy: an introduction. Inner Rays of Light. January 8, 2015. Viewed June 28, 2018.
- Find a practitioner: American Polarity Therapy Association: Practitioner Directory
- Clinical Trials: Find a Study
- Donald I. Abrams, MD, and Andrew T. Weil, MD: Integrative Oncology, 2nd Edition