BCCT plans to write a summary on saw palmetto. While our summary is in development, you can visit About Herbs: Saw Palmetto
The About Herbs summary of Saw Palmetto lists several adverse reactions, herb-drug interactions and herb-lab interactions. For more information, read the summary, linked above. BCCT recommends you consult with your physician before taking this supplement.
BCCT does not recommend therapies or doses, but only provides information for patients and providers to consider as part of a complete treatment plan. Patients should discuss therapies with their physicians, as contraindications, interactions and side effects must be evaluated.
A study investigating the composition of various forms of saw palmetto concluded that “liquid saw palmetto supplements may be the best choice for individuals who want to take a saw palmetto supplement with the highest concentrations of both fatty acids and phytosterols.”1
Dosage recommendations are available from these sources:
- McKinney N. Naturopathic Oncology, 3rd Edition. Victoria, BC, Canada: Liaison Press. 2016.
- TRC Natural Medicines: Saw Palmetto (subscription required)
Integrative Programs, Protocols and Medical Systems
|For more information about programs and protocols, see our Integrative Programs and Protocols page.|
- Programs and protocols
- Traditional systems
- Consumer Labs: Product Review (subscription required): Saw Palmetto
- TRC Natural Medicines: Saw Palmetto (subscription required): in-depth information, ratings of effectiveness and safety and evaluation of specific of saw palmetto products, including the Peenuts® nutritional supplement blend, which includes saw palmetto.
- ClinicalTrials.gov: studies involving saw palmetto
- Hostanska K, Suter A, Melzer J, Saller R. Evaluation of cell death caused by an ethanolic extract of Serenoae repentis fructus (Prostasan) on human carcinoma cell lines. Anticancer Research. 2007 Mar-Apr;27(2):873-81.
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center: About Herbs, Botanicals and Other Products
- American Botanical Council: HerbMed
- Lone Star Medical Group: Natural Alternative Treatments
- Donald I. Abrams, MD, and Andrew T. Weil, MD: Integrative Oncology, 2nd Edition