Scutellaria Baicalensis / Chinese Skullcap
BCCT plans to write a summary on scutellaria/skullcap. While our summary is in development, you can visit About Herbs: Scutellaria baicalensis
Two different kinds of skullcap are used in cancer care. A description of the other, Scutellaria barbata, can be found at About Herbs: Scutellaria barbata.
Before using this therapy, consult your oncology team about interactions with other treatments and therapies. Also make sure this therapy is safe for use with any other medical conditions you may have.
The About Herbs summary of Chinese Skullcap lists several adverse reactions and herb-drug interactions. Read the summary for more information.
In low doses, the extracted compound baicalin can increase angiogenesis (creation of new blood vessels to supply tumors), leading to increased tumor proliferation, whereas high doses inhibited angiogenesis. Baicalein, another compound of skullcap, only suppressed angiogenesis.1 In BCCT’s opinion, working with a healthcare professional who is skilled in the use and monitoring of this herb in people with cancer is essential for use.
BCCT does not recommend therapies or doses, but only provides information for patients and providers to consider as part of a complete treatment plan. Patients should discuss therapies with their physicians, as contraindications, interactions and side effects must be evaluated.
Dosage recommendations are available from these sources:
- Solutions 4 Health: Endometrial Cancer Wellness Plan
- Block KI. Life over Cancer: The Block Center Program for Integrative Cancer Treatment. New York: Bantam Dell. 2009.
- McKinney N. Naturopathic Oncology, 3rd Edition. Victoria, BC, Canada: Liaison Press. 2016.
- TRC Natural Medicines: Chinese Skullcap (subscription required)
Integrative Programs, Protocols and Medical Systems
|For more information about programs and protocols, see our Integrative Programs and Protocols page.|
- Programs and protocols
- Block program2
- Lemole, Mehta & McKee protocol for endometrial cancer3
- McKinney protocols4
- Traditional systems
- TRC Natural Medicines: Chinese Skullcap (subscription required): in-depth information, ratings of effectiveness and safety and evaluation of specific Chinese Skullcap products
- ClinicalTrials.gov: studies involving Chinese skullcap
- Gurdev Parmar and Tina Kaczor: Textbook of Naturopathic Oncology
- Donald I. Abrams, MD, and Andrew T. Weil, MD: Integrative Oncology, 2nd Edition
- Keith I. Block, MD: Life over Cancer: The Block Center Program for Integrative Cancer Treatment
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center: About Herbs, Botanicals and Other Products
- American Botanical Council: HerbMed
- Lone Star Medical Group: Natural Alternative Treatments