Scutellaria Baicalensis / Chinese Skullcap
BCCT plans to write a summary on scutellaria/skullcap. While our summary is in development, you can visit About Herbs: Scutellaria baicalensis
Two different kinds of skullcap are used in cancer care. The other one is called Scutellaria barbata, and a description of this herb can be found at About Herbs: Scutellaria barbata.
The About Herbs summary of Chinese Skullcap lists several adverse reactions and herb-drug interactions. Read the summary for more information.
In low doses, the extracted compound baicalin can increase angiogenesis (creation of new blood vessels to supply tumors), leading to increased tumor proliferation, whereas high doses inhibited angiogenesis. Baicalein, another compound of skullcap only exhibited angiogenesis suppression.1 In BCCT’s opinion, working with a healthcare professional who is skilled in the use and monitoring of this herb in people with cancer is essential for use.
BCCT does not recommend therapies or doses, but only provides information for patients and providers to consider as part of a complete treatment plan. Patients should discuss therapies with their physicians, as contraindications, interactions and side effects must be evaluated.
Dosage recommendations are available from these sources:
- Your Health Solution: Endometrial Cancer Supplement Recommendations
- Block KI. Life over Cancer: The Block Center Program for Integrative Cancer Treatment. New York: Bantam Dell. 2009.
- McKinney N. Naturopathic Oncology, 3rd Edition. Victoria, BC, Canada: Liaison Press. 2016.
- TRC Natural Medicines: Chinese Skullcap (subscription required)
Integrative Plans, Protocols and Medical Systems
|For more information about plans and protocols, see our Integrative Plans and Protocols page.|
- Block program2
- Broad spectrum terrain support
- Prehab to reduce inflammation
- Lemole, Mehta & McKee protocol for endometrial cancer3
- list specific protocols
- McKinney protocols4
- Brain cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Increase white blood count
- Traditional systems
- TRC Natural Medicines: Chinese Skullcap (subscription required): in-depth information, ratings of effectiveness and safety and evaluation of specific Chinese Skullcap products
- ClinicalTrials.gov: studies involving Chinese skullcap
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center: About Herbs, Botanicals and Other Products
- American Botanical Council: HerbMed
- Lone Star Medical Group: Natural Alternative Treatments
- Keith I. Block, MD: Life over Cancer: The Block Center Program for Integrative Cancer Treatment
- Donald I. Abrams, MD, and Andrew T. Weil, MD: Integrative Oncology, 2nd Edition