BCCT plans to write a summary on beta-carotene. While our summary is in development, you can visit About Herbs: Beta-Carotene
Before using this therapy, consult your oncology team about interactions with other treatments and therapies. Also make sure this therapy is safe for use with any other medical conditions you may have.
Practice Guidelines and Recommendations
Eating a well-rounded diet that includes sources of beta-carotene—such as from deep orange vegetables—is prudent. However, some evidence indicates that beta-carotene in supplement form is not as beneficial and in some cases may even be harmful. Consult with a knowledgeable clinician regarding the advisability of taking beta-carotene supplements for your specific cancer or symptoms.
Refer to About Herbs: Beta-Carotene for more information.
BCCT does not recommend therapies or doses, but only provides information for patients and providers to consider as part of a complete treatment plan. Patients should discuss therapies with their physicians, as contraindications, interactions and side effects must be evaluated.
Dosage recommendations are available from these sources:
- Block KI. Life over Cancer: The Block Center Program for Integrative Cancer Care. New York: Bantam Dell. 2009.
- McKinney N. Naturopathic Oncology, 3rd Edition. Victoria, BC, Canada: Liaison Press. 2016.
Integrative Programs, Protocols and Medical Systems
|For more information about programs and protocols, see our Integrative Programs and Protocols page.|
- Programs and protocols
- Gurdev Parmar and Tina Kaczor: Textbook of Naturopathic Oncology
- Donald I. Abrams, MD, and Andrew T. Weil, MD: Integrative Oncology, 2nd Edition
- Neil McKinney, BSc, ND: Naturopathic Oncology, 3rd Edition
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center: About Herbs, Botanicals and Other Products
- Therapeutic Research Center: Natural Medicines Database
- Lone Star Medical Group: Natural Alternative Treatments
- Michael Lerner: Choices In Healing: Integrating the Best of Conventional and Complementary Approaches to Cancer