BCCT plans to write a summary on Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ 10). While our summary is in development, you can visit these sites:
Clinical Practice Guidelines
According to the Society for Integrative Oncology’s 2017 clinical practice guidelines for breast cancer, insufficient information exists to recommend using coenzyme Q10 for relieving depression/mood or fatigue or improving quality of life.1
Managing Side Effects and Promoting Wellness
Managing or relieving side effects or symptoms, reducing treatment toxicity, supporting quality of life or promoting general well-being
Co Q10 is used for a variety of symptoms.
According to About Herbs and CAM-Cancer, only minor side effects have been reported. About Herbs cautions that Co Q10 may reduce effectiveness of chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Some integrative oncologists also list cautions:
- Don't use with radiation therapy, as it may reduce effectiveness2
- High doses for long periods may elevate liver enzymes and can interact with blood thinners3
BCCT advises using this supplement under medical supervision of a clinician knowledgeable in using this supplement in cancer care.
BCCT does not recommend therapies or doses, but only provides information for patients and providers to consider as part of a complete treatment plan. Patients should discuss therapies with their physicians, as contraindications, interactions and side effects must be evaluated.
Dosage recommendations are available from these sources:
- Your Health Solution: Lymphoma Supplement Recommendations
- Alschuler LN, Gazella KA. The Definitive Guide to Cancer, 3rd Edition: An Integrative Approach to Prevention, Treatment, and Healing. Berkeley, California: Celestial Arts. 2010.
- Alschuler LN, Gazella KA. The Definitive Guide to Thriving after Cancer. Berkeley, California: Ten Speed Press. 2013.
- Block KI. Life over Cancer: The Block Center Program for Integrative Cancer Care. New York: Bantam Dell. 2009.
- Chang R. Beyond the Magic Bullet: The Anti-Cancer Cocktail. New York: Square One Publishers. 2012.
- McKinney N. Naturopathic Oncology, 3rd Edition. Victoria, BC, Canada: Liaison Press. 2016.
- Moss Reports (purchase required): Select from the list of cancers down the left side of the page for a report describing uses of conventional, complementary, alternative and integrative therapies related to that cancer. Ralph Moss is among the most knowledgeable and balanced researchers of integrative cancer therapies. The cost of his Moss Reports is not negligible, but many patients find them of considerable value. Moss is also available for consultations.
- Natural Medicines Database (requires purchase)
Integrative Plans, Protocols and Medical Systems
|For more information about plans and protocols, see our Integrative Plans and Protocols page.|
- Plans, protocols and programs
- Abrams & Weil integrative medicine approaches:4
- Provides evidence for cardioprotectant use in acute lymphocytic leukemia, non-Hodgkin lymphoma and various malignancies
- Alschuler & Gazella complementary approaches5
- Breast cancer
- Cervical cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Thyroid cancer
- Immune-enhancing approach
- Anti-inflammatory approach
- Insulin resistance reversal approach
- Supporting thyroid and adrenal function
- Decreasing risk of breast and thyroid cancer and melanoma
- Block program:6
- Antioxidant support
- Immune surveillance support
- Cardioprotectant during Adriamycin® therapy
- Use with off-label statins to protect muscle cells7
- McKinney protocols8
- Treating organ failure triggered by chemotherapy toxicity
- Breast cancer: improving heart function before Herceptin® treatment
- Myelodysplastic syndrome: prevent liver, kidney and bone marrow toxicity
- Repairing sun and other UV damage to skin
- CAM-Cancer Collaboration: CAM-Cancer
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center: About Herbs, Botanicals and Other Products
- National Cancer Institute: Office of Cancer Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Therapeutic Research Center: Natural Medicines Database
- Lone Star Medical Group: Natural Alternative Treatments
- Keith I. Block, MD: Life over Cancer: The Block Center Program for Integrative Cancer Treatment
- Lise Alschuler, ND, FABNO, and Karolyn Gazella: The Definitive Guide to Cancer, 3rd Edition: An Integrative Approach to Prevention, Treatment, and Healing
- Neil McKinney, BSc, ND: Naturopathic Oncology, 3rd Edition
- Donald I. Abrams, MD, and Andrew T. Weil, MD: Integrative Oncology, 2nd Edition
- Raymond Chang, MD: Beyond the Magic Bullet: The Anti-Cancer Cocktail
- National Cancer Institute at the National Institutes of Health: PDQ® Cancer Information Summaries
- Barbara MacDonald, ND, LAc: The Breast Cancer Companion: A Complementary Care Manual: Third Edition