Mind-Body, Spiritual & Consciousness-changing Approaches: Overview
Mind-body approaches use a variety of techniques designed to enhance the mind's capacity to affect bodily function and symptoms.
Examples discussed on our Mind-Body Approaches page:
- Art therapy
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Music therapy
- Relaxation therapy
- Support groups
Spiritual therapies are therapies that focus on deep—often religious—beliefs and feelings, including a person’s sense of peace, purpose, connection to others, and beliefs about the meaning of life.
Examples discussed on our Religious and Spiritual Approaches page:
- Intercessory prayer
- Spiritual healing
Consciousness-changing therapies include psychedelic substances and other approaches that impact consciousness. Examples:
- Holotropic breathwork (upcoming)
- Inocybeumbrinella (psilocybin)
Browse or search the BCCT Therapy Summaries.
- Bayne T, Carter O. Dimensions of consciousness and the psychedelic state. Neuroscience of Consciousness, 2018 Jan 1;2018(1).
- Michael Lerner: Choices In Healing: Integrating the Best of Conventional and Complementary Approaches to Cancer
- Jeremy R. Geffen, MD, FACP: Jeremy Geffen, MD—The Seven Levels of Healing
- healthjourneys: Meditations
- Jeanne Achterberg: Imagery in Healing: Shamanism and Modern Medicine
- Donald I. Abrams, MD, and Andrew T. Weil, MD: Integrative Oncology, 2nd Edition
- Foundation for a Mindful Society: Mindful