BCCT plans to write a summary on pomegranate. While our summary is in development, you can visit these sites:
Both the About Herbs and CAM-Cancer summaries of pomegranate list warnings, contraindications, adverse effects and herb-drug interactions. Read the summaries above for more information on cautions.
People who are allergic to pomegranate should avoid it, as there is the risk of anaphylactic shock. The high sugar content in pomegranate juice may aggravate diabetes.
If you are on medications and/or have a chronic health condition, consult with your doctor or pharmacist to check for medications with which pomegranate will interact. For instance, pomegranate may interfere with some drug metabolism enzymes and increase the risk for muscle damage from statins.
BCCT does not recommend therapies or doses, but only provides information for patients and providers to consider as part of a complete treatment plan. Patients should discuss therapies with their physicians, as contraindications, interactions and side effects must be evaluated.
Dosage recommendations are available from these sources:
- Alschuler LN, Gazella KA. The Definitive Guide to Cancer, 3rd Edition: An Integrative Approach to Prevention, Treatment, and Healing. Berkeley, California: Celestial Arts. 2010.
- Block KI. Life over Cancer: The Block Center Program for Integrative Cancer Care. New York: Bantam Dell. 2009.
- TRC Natural Medicines: Pomegranate (subscription required)
Integrative Plans, Protocols and Medical Systems
|For more information about plans and protocols, see our Integrative Plans and Protocols page.|
- Plans, protocols and programs
- Abrams & Weil integrative medicine approaches for prostate cancer1
- Alschuler & Gazella complementary approaches for prostate cancer2
- Block program3
- Dietary component for molecular targeting (same targets as Avastin and Erbitux)
- High-intensity nutritional support for cachexia (wasting)
- Remission support diet
- Dietary component to reduce platelet aggregation
- Lemole, Mehta & McKee protocols: part of a whole-foods diet4
- Traditional systems
- TRC Natural Medicines: Pomegranate (subscription required): in-depth information, ratings of effectiveness and safety and evaluation of specific resveratrol products
- CAM-Cancer Collaboration: CAM-Cancer
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center: About Herbs, Botanicals and Other Products
- National Cancer Institute: Office of Cancer Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- American Botanical Council: HerbMed
- Cell Nutritionals: Cell Nutritionals: Pomi-T Study
- Editors: Iris F. F. Benzie and Sissi Wachtel-Galor: Herbal Medicine, 2nd Edition: Biomolecular and Clinical Aspects
- Keith I. Block, MD: Life over Cancer: The Block Center Program for Integrative Cancer Treatment
- Lise Alschuler, ND, FABNO, and Karolyn Gazella: The Definitive Guide to Cancer, 3rd Edition: An Integrative Approach to Prevention, Treatment, and Healing
- Neil McKinney, BSc, ND: Naturopathic Oncology, 3rd Edition
- Donald I. Abrams, MD, and Andrew T. Weil, MD: Integrative Oncology, 2nd Edition
- National Cancer Institute at the National Institutes of Health: PDQ® Cancer Information Summaries