BCCT plans to write a summary on vitamin K. While our summary is in development, you can visit these sites:
- Natural Alternative Treatments: Vitamin K
The Lonestar Medical Group summary of Vitamin K lists several safety issues, including a number of herb-drug interactions. Of particular note is that Vitamin K can interfere with anti-coagulation therapy and can interact with drugs that alter coagulation.
For more in-depth information on cautions, adverse effects and interactions, see the TRC Natural Medicines Database summary on Vitamin K (subscription required).
Neil McKinney, ND also cautions not to use N-acetyl-cysteine during use of pro-oxidative therapy such as with vitamin K.1
BCCT does not recommend therapies or doses, but only provides information for patients and providers to consider as part of a complete treatment plan. Patients should discuss therapies with their physicians, as contraindications, interactions and side effects must be evaluated.
Dosage recommendations are available from these sources:
- Solutions 4 Health:
- Bladder Cancer Wellness Plan
- Breast Cancer Wellness Plan
- Colorectal Cancer Wellness Plan
- Lung Cancer Wellness Plan
- Chang R. Beyond the Magic Bullet: The Anti-Cancer Cocktail. New York: Square One Publishers. 2012.
- McKinney N. Naturopathic Oncology, 3rd Edition. Victoria, BC, Canada: Liaison Press. 2016.
- TRC Natural Medicines Database: Vitamin K (subscription required)
Integrative Programs, Protocols and Medical Systems
|For more information about programs and protocols, see our Integrative Programs and Protocols page.|
- Programs and protocols
- Block program2
- Lemole, Mehta & McKee protocols3
- MacDonald breast cancer program4
- McKinney protocols5
- Leukemia and myelodysplastic syndrome
- Liver cancer
- Multiple myeloma
- Prostate cancer
- Natural compound targeting growth factors
- Bone protectant supplement (with aromatase inhibitors in breast cancer and androgen deprivation therapy in prostate cancer)
- Stabilize coagulation for patients on blood thinners and tumors that are eroding into blood vessels
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Vitamin K
- TRC Natural Medicines Database: Vitamin K (subscription required):in-depth information, ratings of effectiveness and safety and evaluation of specific resveratrol products
- Consumer Labs: Product Review (subscription required): Vitamin K
- Raymond Chang, MD: Beyond the Magic Bullet: The Anti-Cancer Cocktail
- Neil McKinney, BSc, ND: Naturopathic Oncology, 3rd Edition
- Keith I. Block, MD: Life over Cancer: The Block Center Program for Integrative Cancer Treatment
- Lone Star Medical Group: Natural Alternative Treatments
- National Cancer Institute: Office of Cancer Complementary and Alternative Medicine