BCCT plans to write a summary on vitamin K. While our summary is in development, you can visit these sites:
- Natural Alternative Treatments: Vitamin K
Before using this therapy, consult your oncology team about interactions with other treatments and therapies. Also make sure this therapy is safe for use with any other medical conditions you may have.
The Lonestar Medical Group summary of Vitamin K lists several safety issues, including a number of herb-drug interactions. Of particular note is that Vitamin K can interfere with anti-coagulation therapy and can interact with drugs that alter coagulation.
For more in-depth information on cautions, adverse effects and interactions, see the TRC Natural Medicines Database summary on Vitamin K (subscription required).
Neil McKinney, ND also cautions not to use N-acetyl-cysteine during use of pro-oxidative therapy such as with vitamin K.1
BCCT does not recommend therapies or doses, but only provides information for patients and providers to consider as part of a complete treatment plan. Patients should discuss therapies with their physicians, as contraindications, interactions and side effects must be evaluated.
Dosage recommendations are available from these sources:
- Solutions 4 Health:
- Bladder Cancer Wellness Plan
- Breast Cancer Wellness Plan
- Colorectal Cancer Wellness Plan
- Lung Cancer Wellness Plan
- Chang R. Beyond the Magic Bullet: The Anti-Cancer Cocktail. New York: Square One Publishers. 2012.
- McKinney N. Naturopathic Oncology, 3rd Edition. Victoria, BC, Canada: Liaison Press. 2016.
- TRC Natural Medicines Database: Vitamin K (subscription required)
Integrative Programs, Protocols and Medical Systems
|For more information about programs and protocols, see our Integrative Programs and Protocols page.|
- Programs and protocols
- Block program2
- Lemole, Mehta & McKee protocols3
- MacDonald breast cancer program4
- McKinney protocols5
- Leukemia and myelodysplastic syndrome
- Liver cancer
- Multiple myeloma
- Prostate cancer
- Natural compound targeting growth factors
- Bone protectant supplement (with aromatase inhibitors in breast cancer and androgen deprivation therapy in prostate cancer)
- Stabilize coagulation for patients on blood thinners and tumors that are eroding into blood vessels
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Vitamin K
- TRC Natural Medicines Database: Vitamin K (subscription required):in-depth information, ratings of effectiveness and safety and evaluation of specific resveratrol products
- Consumer Labs: Product Review (subscription required): Vitamin K
- Raymond Chang, MD: Beyond the Magic Bullet: The Anti-Cancer Cocktail
- Neil McKinney, BSc, ND: Naturopathic Oncology, 3rd Edition
- Keith I. Block, MD: Life over Cancer: The Block Center Program for Integrative Cancer Treatment
- National Cancer Institute: Office of Cancer Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Lone Star Medical Group: Natural Alternative Treatments